Monday 20 August 2018

Back to School 2018 - The New School Edition

It's been a while. Someone recently pointed that out to me. I think it's because I got into the habit of writing when things weren't going well, when I was feeling desperate to purge the negativity inside of myself. That's changed though. I've learned to use new tools to work through those feelings. I've also been working diligently to move forward in my life and not dwell/wallow in what is not working for me. Change and opportunity are over every horizon and I can no longer keep my eyes cast downward. I am approaching all that I can with my eyes wide open and ready to embrace what comes my way. If it's not coming my way, I'm ready to change paths and directions and chase it down and make opportunities to grow.

What's new? It's a new year and this September that means a new school for me. I am looking forward to working with and learning from a whole new group of teacher people. They are a dynamic group and I see many of their names attached to projects in and around the school board where I work. Many of them are leaders and innovators and I hope that I can continue to build my own practice in their presence and some of my own brand of crazy rubs off on them too!

I have been working in one community for the past 10 years, so I am also very excited to begin working with children that have different perspectives and life experiences. What will they be like? How can I help them enjoy school? What can I do to make their day better? What opportunities can I provide them? Will they like and accept me as their teacher? Will they be disappointed they don't have Mr. So-and-So or Ms. Whatchamacallit? Only time will tell, but I am ready for the responsibility presented to me every September - that is to make sure every child comes to school and feels safe and accepted enough to learn. It's a big responsibility. Parents entrust their child to me every morning and no matter where I teach I begin my day with that thought in mind. 

July 21, 2018, Community protest against changes made to the 2015 Health & Phys Ed curriculum. The government expects teachers to revert to the 1998 version of the curriculum, which does not address consent, cyberbullying, different family structures, etc. High school students Frank Hong and Rayne Fisher-Quann organized this rally to protest "an unprecedented assault on students' right to a fair and up-to-date education." (quote from Facebook event page)
This year there are new challenges being presented to teachers from beyond the classroom. A new government has been elected. It's the first change of government I've experienced in my 10 years of teaching. Their mandate is not to make education better. It is to make it more economical and efficient. The rollbacks include more than just funding. They include some of the progress made for marginalized communities, including LGBTQ2 and indigenous students. The fight against these rollbacks has been raging all summer long and there is still uncertainty as the school year begins. I am encouraged to see young people leading the way and adding their voices to the debate. It is their education, their future! The bureaucracy will work its way through the courts and halls of government and in the meantime, the rest of us will continue do what we do. Teach in a fair and just way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment